Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle The Night: new fragrance


The new fragrance by Editions de Parfums, ‘The Night’, is aiming for the rich in scented heritage market of the Middle East. Master perfumer Dominique Ropion’s first composition for Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle that speaks the language of Middle Eastern per­fume, The Night is a rarity for more reasons than one.
Unlike classic "oriental" perfumes which have been composed to correspond to a French perfumery tradition interpreting, rather than replicating, the ways and tastes of the Middle East, the newest launch by Malle is set to be a true oriental, yet, given the expansion of the tastes of the western customer thanks to niche offerings, a welcome addition to a aficionado's collection as well.


Malle opens up on the composition of "The Night" in the following terms: "Unlike perfumes called Oud which contain at best a trace of this precious raw material, if any, ‘The Night’ is built on an unprecedented proportion of Oud from India which Domi­nique has mixed with a generous amount of Turkish Rose and Amber." The perfume is purported by Malle to be the one with the richest percentage of natural Oud in the market, with a price to correspond, naturally.



The counter and fragrance will be launching in store by the end of October and Frederic Malle The Night by Dominique Ropion is exclusive to Bloomingdale’s – Dubai in the Middle East. {NB.The info comes from the official store source}

Price is reportedly 850$US for the 100ml bottle and 755$ for the 50ml bottle.

Related reading on Perfume Shrine:
Oud fragrances reviews
Oud/Aoudh/Aloewswood: What is this Perfume Raw Material?

16 comments:

  1. JudithDM03:37

    I would love to give this one a whirl! I am to assume exclusive to Bloomingdales in Dubai? Wonder if they will take my credit card!! Ha! Will go searching on Surrender to Chance or ebay at the end of the month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natural oud oil.
    They said it.
    Now they can't take it back.
    My natural khaleeji nose will be the judge of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had me at Night; the first thing I thought of was La Nuit, and a Malle version of the animalic beauty of Rabanne. However I see that even Malle has given in to Oudh... Who's left? The indie and artisanal brands I guess, as everyone else now has their Oudh theme.

    ReplyDelete
  4. J,

    wise plan :-D
    I bet most perfumistas will do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Saif,

    indeed they have. Not only that, the perfume with the greatest percentage of natural oud on the market!
    (They say the same re: tuberose absolute and Carnal Flower and it does smell very true, I have to admit).
    I have faith in your testing prowess!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A,

    the name is possibly a cliche, you know, though indeed it brings to mind (our mind at least, I doubt it does to the clientele that Malle targets) the PR perfume which I love myself too.

    Everyone is on the oud train, don't you know? :-P
    Reason is twofold, market segmentation aims and synth alternatives gaining momentum. This one is probably centered on the former.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lady Jane Grey19:42

    Why should have Malle made the Oud when everybody else was wildly doing so. He comes with it now, when everybody stopped. I'm very fine with that and am tremendously curious !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Save the best Oud for last!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LJG,

    I kinda think he wants to outlast them all, much like he did with CF. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lia,

    well, that remains to be seen, but it sounds like a definitive version? We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  12. With a respected name like FM, and a price tag like that, I hope it will be worth it. I don't need any excuse especially "luxury" as justification to the price, whichever way FM claims to be true. I have smelt fragrances rediculously priced that have been copied from Middle East countries as low as $20.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tenaiji,

    very valid point.

    I think the 800$ is the new frontier. Let's see how many are going to go there now. I have in mind to write something about that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The news of the perfume is exciting, but the price makes me think of Lutens' L'Incendiaire. Rather worrying!

    ReplyDelete
  15. D,

    I'm absolutely certain that luxury perfume will fly off the $500 mark very soon. If not more.

    The plebs will content with designer fragrances again or splitting samples (alas) of the Malles on scent splits sites at fractions of the ml. :-((

    ReplyDelete
  16. Whew! If anyone wants the sample I just purchased, feel free to contact me – oud and I do not apparently agree!

    ReplyDelete

Type your comment in the box, choose the Profile option you prefer from the drop down menu, below text box (Anonymous is fine too!) and hit Publish.
And you're set!

This Month's Popular Posts on Perfume Shrine